Where and Why?
- Installations of fibre optic communications ducting will be undertaken on the A477 between the Red Roses Junction and Llanddowror Junction. Work is scheduled to commence from 22/11/2020 continuing until 18/12/2020. Work will recommence from 04/01/2021 and continue until approximately 26/02/2021.
- Traffic management measures will be used to protect the workforce and the travelling public for the duration of the work. 2-3km single lane closures will be installed on the three-lane sections of the road. Temporary traffic signals with lane closures will be installed on the two-lane sections. The work is expected to progress in an eastbound direction and the traffic management measures will be moved accordingly.
- The Welsh Government is delivering a multi-million pound upgrade and extension scheme to its fibre optic communications network. This network provides the backbone for intelligent transport systems to manage the safe operation of the motorway and trunk road in Wales, from CCTV cameras to electronic messages, to traffic counters and emerging digital highway technologies. These systems ensure that our emergency services receive key information when it’s most needed, help to minimise congestion and to deliver safety measures whilst providing data for future road schemes.
- The programme will provide resilience for our existing fibre network to help us ensure critical systems and information are always available to our teams and for the safety of road users.
Diversions and Safety Measures
- The works are being carried out during the day to allow the work to progress effectively within seasonal constraints.
- Our contractors will be working 6 days a week, Sunday to Friday, to accelerate the installation as far as possible and minimise the overall impact for the travelling public. The traffic management measures will be kept in place at all times for the full duration of the work; this saves significant time for the contractor starting work on site each day and enables the overall programme of work to be reduced by approximately four weeks.
- Our contractors will be implementing safe methods of working to adhere to physical distancing measures. Within the constraints, we are taking every opportunity to maximise the number of workers on site and progress the work as efficiently as possible. Multiple teams will be on site to accelerate the programme as far as possible.
- The A477 will remain open in both directions at all times.
Programme of traffic management restrictions
Works commencing 22/11/2020 until 18/12/2020. Recommencing 04/01/2021 until approximately 26/02/2021.
Works will progress in an eastbound direction and traffic management measures to be moved accordingly.
Single lane closures will be installed on the three-lane sections for 2-3km at a time.
Temporary traffic signals with lane closures will be installed on the two-lane sections.
Traffic management to remain in place 24 hours throughout the works.
Traffic management will be removed from the network during the break in works 18/12/2020 to 04/01/2021.
For further information, please contact Traffic Wales on 0300 123 1213 or via Twitter @TrafficWalesS.