Start Date: 24th May 2021 | End Date: Autumn 2022
This project will include bridge strengthening, resurfacing and lining works. This will improve safety on this part of the M4 and reduce the risk of unplanned closures.
For more information regarding traffic management see details below.
The following restrictions will be in place until Autumn 2022*:
- 24hour lane closure on M4 J28 eastbound slip road to give access and allow works to be undertaken safely. Pedestrian access in the vicinity of the bridge and over the reservoir bund next to the M4 will be restricted during this time.
- Overnight closures will be needed to complete bridge strengthening works.
- 44t abnormal load weight restriction between J26 and J28. Abnormal Loads will be diverted on the southern distributor road.
- Narrow lanes westbound from M4 J26-28
M4 Westbound between J24 Coldra and J28 Tredegar Park
- Overnight closure from 20:00-06:00 including J27 High Cross westbound onslip for 2 nights on June 23rd, 24th and August 1st.*
M4 Westbound between J26 Malpas and J28 Tredegar Park
- Lane 1 and 2 closures from 20:00-06:00 on July 4th, 5, 11th and 12th.
M4 Eastbound between J28 Tredegar Park and J27 High Cross
- Overnight closure from 20:00-06:00 for 1 night on August 1st.*
*Additional closure booked on August 2nd to be confirmed.
There will be a restriction of abnormal loads and realignment of the westbound carriageway in the form of narrow lanes
Safety inspections and strengthening works may also need to be carried out under lane closures. We are asking the travelling public to be aware of these works and to follow the road signs.
The majority of works are being carried out during off-peak hours to minimise disruption. Some activities may take place overnight between 20:00 - 06:00.
Nosier activities will be done during the day or early evening to lessen disruption wherever possible.
Please see below for the diversion during overnight closures.