Start Date: 24th May 2021 | End Date: Late Autumn
This project will deliver vital safety improvements on this part of the network over the next seven months.
For more information regarding traffic management see details below.
Ebbw River Bridge is approximately 500m north of M4 junction 28 Tredegar Park. This project will include bridge strengthening, resurfacing and lining works. This will:
- improve safety on this part of the network
- reduce the risk of unplanned closures.
There will be a restriction of abnormal loads and realignment of the westbound carriageway in the form of narrow lanes
Safety inspections and strengthening works may also need to be carried out under lane closures. We are asking the travelling public to be aware of these works and to follow the road signs.
The majority of works are being carried out during off-peak hours to minimise disruption. Some activities may take place overnight between 20:00 - 06:00.
Nosier activities will be done during the day or early evening to lessen disruption wherever possible.
The following restrictions will be in place until late autumn 2021*:
- 24hour lane closure on M4 J28 eastbound slip road to give access and allow works to be undertaken safely. Pedestrian access in the vicinity of the bridge and over the reservoir bund next to the M4 will be restricted during this time.
- Overnight closures will be needed to complete bridge strengthening works.
- 44t abnormal load weight restriction between J26 and J28. Abnormal Loads will be diverted on the southern distributor road.
- Narrow lanes westbound from M4 J26-28
**This is subject to weather conditions.