Cookies are small text files sent to your computer or mobile device by the websites that you visit.
1. Necessary cookies
Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. They can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Some features of this website may be restricted if cookies are disabled.
- Keeping track of the session while your browser is open. This cookie allows page navigation to function correctly. It expires when you fully close your browser tab or window.
- Keeping track of your chosen cookie preferences.
2. Analytical cookies
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how and when our site is used. Google Analytics allows us to see information such as the number of visitors, the length of their stay, how road network incident and events increase demand on the website, popular features, browsers and types of devices. We use this information to help us improve and maintain the service.
Our cookie control tool gives you a choice whether to allow or reject our use of Google Analytics. You can amend your cookie preferences at any time by selecting the cookie control icon.
The metrics obtained through the use of first-party Google Analytics cookies do not include any information that would allow us to personally identify visitors to the website; the data is anonymous. The anonymised data that is collected is stored on Google's servers.
We have implemented the following further measures for data privacy:
- We use the IP anonymisation feature in Google Analytics so your device IP address is not sent to Google when you use this site.
- We will not execute Google Analytics unless and until you have clicked to accept cookies for this purpose within the cookie control tool.
- If and when you consent to our use of Google Analytics cookies, the consent is recorded in Google Analytics.
- This site honours ‘do not track’ requests from browsers.
Full details of the cookies set by Google Analytics are published on the Google website. Google also publishes a browser add-on to allow you to choose that information about your website visit is not sent to Google Analytics.
Google also produce a browser add-on to allow you to opt-out of sending information about your website visit to Google Analytics; it is available here
3. Cookies in map screens
Our embedded road traffic map and CCTV map supplied by Elgin uses essential, analytical and user preference cookies. Please refer to the cookie usage messages within the maps for further details. Your cookie preferences for map screens can be changed at any time by selecting the “i” information button in the map’s menu and choosing “cookies”.