Skip to main content
Traffic Wales information line 0300 123 1213 Contact us
The Welsh Government’s traffic information service for motorways and trunk roads in Wales

NMWTRA street works and abnormal loads

On behalf of the Welsh Government, North and Mid Wales Trunk Road Agent (NMWTRA) is responsible for managing, maintaining and improving the trunk road network in North and Mid Wales. Our responsibilities include the delivery of functions delegated by the Welsh Ministers and prescribed under the Highways Act 1980 and New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 in relation to works co-ordination, licensing and enforcement in relation to highway matters.

A duty is placed on NMWTRA to ensure that the network is managed effectively to minimise congestion and disruption to vehicles and pedestrians as far as reasonably possible. It requires both works on the road and street works by utilities to be planned and coordinated to consider the impact on road users. 

Go to our Road Traffic Map to view the current roadworks across our network.

NMWTRA aims to ensure that the trunk road network, comprising roads and pavements, is kept clear of obstructions and is safe to use. However, there are occasions when the highway has to be obstructed, for example, due to building and renovation works on adjacent properties and frontages. If you need to obstruct the highway, you need to apply for a licence or permit to do so. 

To apply, download the form in this page for the relevant type of obstruction.

It is an offence for a person other that the Street Authority to place apparatus in a street, or to break up or open a street for the purpose of renewing or replacing apparatus, other that in pursuance of a statutory right or street works licences.

To apply, download the form in this page for the relevant type of licence.

An abnormal load is a vehicle that has any of the following:

  • A weight of more than 44,000 kilograms.
  • An axle load of more than 10,000 kilograms for a single non-driving axle and 11,500 kilograms for a single driving axle.
  • A width of more than 2.9 metres.
  • A rigid length of more than 18.65 metres.

If you are responsible for transporting an abnormal load, you need to follow regulations for notifying the authorities. NMWTRA is responsible for all motorways and trunk roads within North and Mid Wales and so you will need to notify us of any proposed abnormal load movement on the NMWTRA network.

The preferred method for receiving notifications is via ESDAL (Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads)

Depending on the load you are moving and your route, you may also need to give advance warning to:

  1. The police (North Wales Police, Dyfed Powys Police)
  2. Other highway authorities
  3. Bridge and structure owners (e.g. Network Rail)


For further information, please contact us at [email protected] or 0300 123 1213.

Call the Traffic Wales information line
0300 123 1213
Contact us